Sunday, September 12, 2010

40 Years

A week ago, I had the distinct pleasure of capturing a piece of history. My personal history, because this is family, and there is nothing stronger in my life than family. In college, I couldn’t wait for breaks to go to my hometown and be surrounded by the noise, insanity, love, and affection of my extended family. I was shocked to learn that my college friends didn’t have the same feeling of homecoming, and I realized then what a lucky person I was to be blessed with the family I have.

When my aunt asked me in the spring to help commemorate the 40th anniversary of her marriage, I was thrilled. Stunned, overwhelmed, honored, and thrilled.

Being only 35, it is hard for me to conceptualize a 40 year relationship. One that you choose to continue, in large and small ways, on a daily basis. One that sustains you and supports you. I have been blessed to witness and learn from several strong marriages in my family; this is just one example. I’ve seen arguments, laughter, discipline, support, contentment, change, upheaval, tension, and lots and lots of laughter. I’d love to share with you what I learned about two important people in my life this past weekend

Their sense of family does not stop at their own children. It includes mine:

Ice cream is better when you share it, even if it gives you an ice cream headache:

Even after 40 years, you aren’t allowed to dress yourself without having your wife ‘fix’ it:

Although passions and interests will change, and they aren’t always shared:

For a marriage to be a success, those passions and interests should be supported:

Here are a few that show my aunt and uncle as I know them:






A life of love and laughter, simple moments shared and enjoyed, stories told and retold, traditions passed from generation to generation, a life shared and a family built.


Jayne’s parents on her wedding day; Lawrence and Ruth Parrott:


Gary and Jayne Magee, August 11th, 1970:
(don’t they look happy?)

Thank you for allowing me to capture memories for you and your children. It is my sincere hope that I’ve captured the things you love about each other, and I wish you 40 more years of love.

(slideshow)

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

6 comments:

  1. a beautiful job! you did a great job of not only capturing the couple but what has made up there lives over the past 40 years. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lani,
    This makes me cry every time I watch it--and I've watched it lots. And to think that the little girl who sat at our dining room table and announced, "Uncle Gary, you're not the boss of me!" would grow up to be such a wonderful mother, precious niece, supportive wife, and professional photgrapher. What can I say? I LOVE it!! And I love you!
    Aunt Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Jayne - I love you too. Soooo thrilled I was able to make you cry, even though I inherited the 'easy to make cry' gene from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sobbing...just sobbing. This is so beautiful. I can't continue to type until I quit crying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I touched your heart Megs. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete