Saturday, September 25, 2010

I like to read...

My husband would say that I LOVE to read. He would be right. I read. A lot. I remember one of my first apartments had a small shelf with about 30 books on it, ones I wanted out because I would re-read them if I ran out of new books and needed something quick. A friend came over and said: "That is A LOT of books." (heavy emphasis on A LOT) I was in shock. 'A lot?" I asked. He said "Yeah. Did you actually read all of those books?" Um. Yeah. More than once, actually. More than 3 times, some of them.

I read at night before bed. I'm usually in bed, about 2 hours before I want to fall asleep, reading. About an hour after I should have fallen asleep I put the book down and close my eyes, but it still takes a while to fall asleep. (I'm always amazed at how quickly my husband falls asleep). Sometimes, I read so late it is almost morning before I can put the book down.

Something has changed. Now, I work. A lot. Instead of reading to relax and unwind, I'm at the computer, editing. Researching. Gathering Inspiration. Revising. Planning. WORKING, until my body is literally falling asleep while I sit here. I used to finish a book in about 2, sometimes 3 days. I read the last Harry Potter book in 11 hours. (Straight. I was lucky enough to be on vacation in Rhode Island with my sister and family, helping my cousin "Raise the Roof", so I didn't have the normal family duties). I honestly cannot remember a time when I didn't pick up a book for at least 20 or 30 minutes before falling asleep. Maybe college, but I doubt it.

The last 3 weeks I've hardly read anything. I have been working late, and getting into bed, and just falling straight to sleep. I can't remember that ever happening.

I don't really miss it. Things are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment